Lord Vishnu is known as“Visveswara” – the main one who reigns over the world, the one who’s supreme. You can find Sahasranāma for almost every God (Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Shakti, and more). The Vishnu Sahasranama is well-liked by common Hindus and has a significant part of the prayer for devout Vaishnavas or devotees of Vishnu. While Vaishnavas venerate other deities, they think that the universe, like the other nities such as Shiva and Devi, is eventually a manifestation of the Supreme Lord Vishnu. Devotees of Shaivism give prominence to Shiva likewise. But both beliefs are common and accepted by most Hindus.
God’s glory is very great. He’s endowed with virtue, knowledge, and dispassion. By worshipping God, we get rid of our obsessions with the world – we experience a kind of Mukti or freedom. After the river merges with the ocean, its identity is lost. Just as, after we become one with the Almighty, we attain the supreme personal. By thinking about the ne forms and uttering the sacred names of God, the Supreme Father, our senses- faculties get sublimated to an increased level, and we start our trip to spirituality.
Even if one doesn’t know what this is but utters it, he gains tremendous benefits Knowingly or Unknowingly, the chanting of the supremely praise-worthy name burns away man’s sin, just like open fire reduces energy to ashes. Puranas say that the name “Hari” has a significant capacity to remove sin.
Vishnu Purana teaches that what’s gained through yoga in Krita-yuga, through carrying out sacrificial rites in treata-yuga and through ritual worship in dvapara-yuga is obtained by chanting the brands of God in Kaliyuga.
By the end of Kurukshetra Battle, King Yuddhishtra visited his grandsire Bhishma who was simply laying on the loss of life bed of arrows to get his lifetime’s knowledge and experience. Through the discussion (Anusasana Parva, Section 149, verses 14 to 120) he posed these questions –
- Who may be reported to be the main one God in the world?
- Who is the main one refuge of most?
- By glorifying and worshiping whom, can people attain peacefulness and wealth?
- What’s, in your opinion, the best Dharma – one’s true character?
- By doing Japa of what is one able to exceed the bonds and routine of birth and loss of life?
Bhishma answered by reciting Vishnu Sahasranama – the 1000 Divine names of Lord Vishnu and told him that either by invoking them through Archana (Offering) or by meditating on these names our thoughts can be lifted to raised consciousness
Bheeshma says chanting the Vishnu Sahasranama or even hearing it eliminates sins and worries. It benefits all. To exceed sorrow, praise the all-pervading Lord.
Serve God, the father with the mind, conversation, and body. Lord Vishnu is associated with Lotus bloom. He’s Lotus-eyed and has Lotus feet and Lotus (Padma) resides in his heart. Based on the Vishnu Sahasranama, it is incorrect to discriminate between Shiva and Vishnu.
Great things about Reciting Sri Vishnu Sahasranama – Phala Sruti
- That man who hears the ne names every day or who recites them every day never confronts any evil either here or hereafter.
- If a Brahmana chants this he succeeds in learning the Vedanta.
- If a Kshatriya would do it, he becomes always successful in a fight.
- A Vaisya, by carrying it out, becomes possessed of affluence.
- A Sudra makes great happiness.
- If one becomes desirous of getting the merit of righteousness, one succeeds in generating it (by hearing or reciting these ne names).
- If it’s prosperity that one wishes, one succeeds in making wealth (by performing in this chant).
- So also the person who desires for enjoyments of the senses succeeds in enjoying all types of pleasures, and the person desirous of offspring acquires offspring.
- That man who with devotion and determination and center wholly surrendering him, recites these thousand ne names of Vasudeva every day, after having purified himself, succeeds in acquiring great fame, a posture of eminence among his kinsmen, long lasting prosperity, and finally, whatever is of the best advantage to him (viz., emancipation itself).
- Such a person never satisfies with dread anytime and acquires great energy and prowess.
- Disease never afflicts him; the splendor of complexion, power, beauty, and achievements become his.
- The unwell become Hale, the afflicted become free of their afflictions; the affrighted become free of dread, and he that is plunged in calamity becomes free of calamity.
- The person who hymns the praises of this most important ne names with devotion succeeds in quickly crossing all troubles.
- That man who with devotion and trust recites this hymn (comprising the thousand ne names of Vasudeva) succeeds in acquiring felicity of spirit, forgiveness of disposition, success, intelligence, memory space, and fame.
- This adorable Sahasranama in praise of the Lord Vishnu rendered by Veda Vyasa should be recited by one who wishes to obtain happiness and whatever is the best advantage (viz., emancipation).
- Those induals who worship and appreciate God, the father of the world, that deity who’s inborn and possessed of blazing effulgence, who is the foundation or reason behind the world, and who’s endued with an eye that is as large and beautiful as the petals of the lotus, never meets with any misfortune.
If you are unable to chant, you can listen to the chant and understand the meaning of these ne names and meditate upon it which in return give astonishing benefits in our day to day lives.
Prostrations to Veda Vyasa Maharishi! – The composer of the Vishnu Sahasranama.